Tooth-colored fillings are made from durable plastics called composite resins. Similar in color and texture to natural teeth, the fillings are less noticeable, and much more attractive, than other types of fillings, this, with our professional cosmetic dentist in Coral Springs.
nlays / Onlays / White Fillings
Inlays and Onlays are restorations that are made to rear teeth that have a mild to moderate amount of decay. They are made of composite resin material, porcelain, or gold by a dental laboratory. Once completed, they will be bonded to the tooth.
- an inlay fills a hole inside the tooth
- an onlay sits on top of the tooth to build up its shape.
Treatment involves isolating the tooth and removing any old fillings or damaged tooth structure under local anesthesia. An impression of the tooth is made, then the inlay or onlay is created from porcelain, gold, or composite resin material. The inlay/onlay is cemented securely into place. Adjustments may be made to ensure the tooth is comfortable to bite on.
Advantages of Tooth-Colored Restorations
There are many advantages to tooth-colored restorations. They are actuallyglued (bonded) to the teeth creating a tight, superior fit to the natural tooth. Such restorations can be used in instances where much of the tooth structure has been lost. The bond between tooth and composite filling is beneficial to the remaining tooth structure helping to prevent breakage.
Inlays and onlays also offer the following benefits:
- Made from tooth-colored material, inlays and onlays are virtually invisible.
- Unlike metal fillings, inlays and onlays will not expand or contract in response to temperature changes caused by hot or cold foods diminishing the possibility of fracture.
- Inlays and onlays requires less tooth reduction than metal fillings allowing the dentist to conserve more natural tooth structure.
- The durable material from which inlays and onlays are made helps them last up to 30 years, much longer than that of conventional amalgam fillings.
- Inlays and onlays can replace silver fillings to create a healthier, more natural-looking smile.
- By saving decayed teeth, inlays and onlays prevent the need for more extensive treatment later on.
Inlays and onlays usually take 2-3 appointments. Contact us today to schedule an appointment to get an opinion on your need for an inlay or onlay.